Frequently Asked Questions

What time do courses commence and finish?

Courses commence at 7.45am and finish at approximately 4 - 4.30pm (unless otherwise stated). 

Commscope courses commence at 8.30am and finish at approximately 5pm (unless otherwise stated).

Your course confirmation will contain this information. 

What are the prerequisites and cabling experience required before completing the Cabler Registration courses?

  • Recognised Occupational Health & Safety training relevant to building cabling activities. Examples include WorkCover/WorkSafe issued Occupational Health & Safety construction cards and Occupational Health & Safety subjects studied at TAFE as part of building or electrical trades.
  • Learners should have at least six months prior relevant building cabling experience including the use of hand and power tools. Examples of relevant building cabling include installation of telecommunications, electronic, data, security or electrical cabling.
  • Students should have knowledge of fundamental DC principlesA free tutorial is available here.

Learners can attend the course without meeting the prerequisites but will be issued with a 'Letter of Attendance' rather than a 'Statement of Attainment'. If you do not meet the experience requirements you may be assessed as 'Not Yet Competent'.

I’ve completed the Open/Restricted/Upgrade Cabler Registration course.

What do I do next?

  1. Choose one of the following Registrars below (listed in alphabetical order)
  2. Complete the Registrar's registration form, referring to the competencies listed on your statement of attainment from JB Hunter. You may need JB Hunter’s RTO number: 90277
  3. Send your completed registration form along with a copy of your statement of attainment to the Registrar, along with the relevant registration fee.
  4. If you have any questions, contact JB Hunter or the Registrars directly

ACRS – Australian Cabler Registration Service
PO Box 1106, Burwood North NSW 2134
Phone: 02 9744 2469   Web:

ACRS Registration Form

Australian Security Industry Association Limited (ASIAL)
PO Box 1338, Crows Nest, NSW 1585
Phone: 02 8425 4331   Web:

ASIAL Registration Form

BICSI Registered Cablers Australia
PO Box 6073, Hawthorn West, VIC 3122
Phone: 1800 306 444   Web:

BICSI Registration Form

Fire Protection Association Australia (FPA Australia)
PO Box 1049, Box Hill VIC 3128
Phone: 03 9890 1544   Web:

FPAA Registration Form

TITAB Australia Cabler Registry Service
PO Box 348 Carlton South, VIC 3053
Phone: 03 93494955   Web:

TITAB Registration Form 

I have let my Austel licence lapse. What do I need to do to become re-licenced?

The previous Austel licensing system has now been replaced with the new Open Cabler Registration  under the ACMA's Cabling Provider Rules. 

If you have previously held an Austel Licence which is now expired you may be able to receive exemptions from some of the training required to reach the Open Cabler Registration qualification. 

Contact us to discuss your requirements or to find out more about our Open Cabler Registration training.



Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest information on courses, news and announcements from us.